Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Amy


Amy 1
Originally uploaded by brendan.oshea
Amy was kind enough to allow me to take some shots in some not so typical locations.
Sunpak 383 on a stand just to the left of the camera, firing into a shoot-through umbrella. Another Sunpak, (snooted with a toilet roll) further back down the alley, just out of shot, camera right, aimed at Amy's head. The sun also gave a little bit of backlighting.
Desaturated in Lightroom. That's it. Except for the crowd of onlookers behind me!
It was after this shoot that I finally realised that no matter how careful you are with lighting and location, if expression isn't there, it will never be a great portrait. This is almost wholly the responsibility of the photographer in my opinion. While this shot of Amy is pretty good technically, it was the first of the session, and I hadn't been concentrating on making Amy feel confident and relaxed. It took a while before I was able to make her feel comfortable and we finally got some great photos.