Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, October 22, 2007

polarized recording studio


recording studio
Originally uploaded by brendan.oshea
After spending half an hour moving the camera fractions of an inch to avoid reflections from the lights in the recording studio, I thought I'd try my polarizer. Instantly I got that hi-tech look that I see in the glossy mags. And no reflections. I always figured a polarizer was good for making skies bluer, and that's about it, but they're actually a very handy filter to have around. I was trying to figure out the lighting on a studio car shot that looked very hi-tech, and I figured there must be a hell of a lot of photoshop going on. Then I noticed a checkerboard pattern on some of the windows. I've seen the same thing while driving around with my polarized sunglasses. At certain angles laminated windows have this pattern.
Try a polarizer when shooting highly reflective metal or glass objects. People wearing glasses. People with shiny skin. Shoot an LCD computer screen and you can dial it down to totally black.
If you want to get experimental, put a polarizer on your lighting as well.
I shot this using ambient light only. No Photoshop.