Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, October 26, 2007

Tilting and shifting


cait & tys
Originally uploaded by brendan.oshea
I ordered a new Canon 45mm tilt shift lens on a Monday morning from an online New York store, and by Thursday afternoon it had arrived here in Australia and I was using it on a job. Now that's service! There are stores here in Melbourne
that take longer than that to return a phone call. But I love this lens. The kids are six or seven feet apart, but their eyes are in focus. I tilted the lens to it's max, and everything is totally out of focus except a very narrow plane. Depth of field at 2.8 is very small, so it takes some skill to focus, especially when you're trying to focus on two points at once. This is a manual focus lens, and when you've got it tilted or shifted, auto exposure doesn't work, so there's going to be quite a few bad shots over the next few weeks while I get the hang of it, and hopefully some very unique ones.